Companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and Apple are making a commitment to contribute positively to climate change. Apple recently announced that it will slash its greenhouse gas emissions by 75 percent, with a plan of becoming carbon neutral by 2030.
According to Apple’s Environmental Responsibility report, “We’re designing the world’s most innovative products from recycled materials. Soon we’ll make them all with clean energy and no carbon footprint,” with the help of suppliers that run on renewable energy. As of July 2020, more than 70 suppliers have committed to using only renewable energy for Apple production. So far, the company is expecting to slash its greenhouse pollution by 75 percent. “Some say it’s impossible. At Apple, we think differently,” the company added, motivated to find innovative ways that will draw down the remaining 25 percent from its heat-trapping emissions.
Apple’s rivals have invested in emerging technologies to reach their climate goals. On the other hand, the company has committed itself to team up with environmental groups like Conservation International in protecting and restoring forests and mangroves that draw in and store carbon dioxide naturally, one of Apple’s essential steps in global climate action.
Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO, took on Twitter to express his determination saying, “By 2030, Apple’s entire business will be carbon neutral — from supply chain to the power you use in every device we make. The planet we share can’t wait, and we want to be a ripple in the pond that creates a much larger change.”
Some of the key elements in Apple’s 10-year plan for becoming carbon neutral include using recycled materials (like they previously did when they included 100% recycled rare earth elements in its iPhone, Mac, iPad, and Apple Watch devices) and the design and energy efficiency of their current products.